This is the story of how the Hubster and I met, fell in love, and were married within 8 months…
…and lived happily ever after*
As our Valentine’s date ended, I was sure that I’d tell him then. I put it off and put it off the whole night as my nerves continued to get the better of me, but I determined that I’d tell him before he left.
…but I didn’t. I knew he liked me, but I wasn’t sure if he was in the “love zone” yet, as I was. If I had known then that he was also struggling with finding a way to tell me he loved me I might have taken the plunge, but I didn’t. I couldn’t. *sigh*
As he left we made plans to see each other on the weekend. It was a Monday night, and we both had a busy week ahead of us. I expected phone calls throughout the week, but that I wouldn’t see him until Friday evening. The night ended beautifully, but I couldn’t help but feel just a little disappointed. As much as I wanted to tell him that I loved him, I also wanted him to tell me first, and I had secretly hoped that he would. I think most girls wait for that moment. It always looks so romantic in the movies when the dark handsome blah blah looks deeply into the young, pretty blah blah and tells her that he loves her. I think that most girls want that moment. I know I did.
So it had been a wonderful Valentine’s day… but it felt somewhat incomplete. Apparently the Hubster thought so as well…
After my classes on Wednesday he called me and asked if he could come out for an impromptu visit after work. I wasn’t busy (and clearly, even if I was I would make myself available… haha) and he came to visit short after 9:30pm. I remember being really nervous to see him that night. I still had a stomach FULL of butterflies, and I had then made myself really nervous that I might tell him that I loved him on an impulse and have that awkward moment where he might smile and say, “Thank you.” or “I really like you too” or simply get up and run away. haha!
As my roommates were home that evening, we went up to my room to talk. We had the lights low and were sitting side by side quietly talking when he leaned over, looked deeply into my eyes and softly said,
“I love you, Shop Girl.”
My heart started racing a mile a minute. I looked over at him but before I could say anything he continued,
“I wanted to tell you on Monday night but I just couldn’t. I wasn’t sure what you’d say or if you’d think I was crazy but I’m in love with you and I had to come tell you.”
I wrapped my arms around him and told him that I was crazy in love with him, and that I also had wanted to tell him on Monday but had chickened out. He laughed and pulled me close. We sat there together in my little room and in that moment I knew right then and there that he was it for me.
He then surprised me by mentioning the “M” word, but that’s another story….
I am 24 years old.
In 2004 I was a first year university student with a new boy every week (a girl’s gotta eat, right? haha). I had no intention of settling down, and I definitely had no idea that at 19 years old I would meet the man that would become my Hubster.
I also had no idea that I would marry him less than 8 months after meeting him.
We’ve now been married for 4 years and every day is a glorious new adventure.
Previous Chapters – Part One*
—–Dating & Falling in Love…
- Chapter One* Love At First Sight
- Chapter Two* The Meeting
- Chapter Three* The First Words
- Chapter Four* The Accident
- Chapter Five* The Ski Trip – Part One (The Green Giant)
- Chapter Six* The Ski Trip – Part Two (The Concussion)
- Chapter Seven* The First Date
- Chapter Eight* The First Kiss
- Chapter Nine* Meet the Parents
- Chapter Ten* FERP Invitation and Response
- Chapter Eleven* …”We Need To Talk.”
- Chapter Twelve* My Prediction
- Chapter Thirteen* Be Mine?
- Chapter Fourteen* My Valentine (Part One)
- Chapter Fifteen* I Almost Love You (Part Two) **Written by The Hubster
- Chapter Sixteen* All You Need is Love
- Chapter Seventeen* The “M” Word
- Chapter Eighteen* …Any News?
- Chapter Ninteen* Hubster vs. Big Dad (Round One)
- Chapter Twenty* Hubster vs. Big Dad (Round Two)
Previous Chapters – Part Two*
—–The Proposal & Engagement
- Chapter One* The Pre-Proposal – [Proposal: Part One]
- Chapter Two* The Ring – [Proposal: Part Two]
- Chapter Three* …will you marry me? – [Proposal: Part Three]
- Chapter Four* …Holy Toot! I’m Engaged! – [Proposal: Part Four]
- Chapter Five* …No, I’m Not Crazy
- Chapter Six* March Madness
- Chapter Seven* The Wedding Planning Begins…
- Chapter Eight* The “Almost Fight”
- Chapter Nine* The Invitations
- Chapter Ten* My Wedding Dress-Tent
- Chapter Eleven* The Day Before the Wedding
- Chapter Twelve* The Wedding Eve
- Chapter Thirteen* Stranded at the Altar
- Chapter Fourteen* Happily Married With Happy Meals
So… remember how I told you yesterday that I would know what the heck I’m doing next year today?
Yep. Not so much. haha! I waited alllllllllll day. No email. No phone call. No personal visit begging me to be a part of their program. *sigh* I did call the office, and it looked as though the guy I had spoken with wasn’t even in the office today… so I’m hoping I’ll hear on Monday. If not, I’ll call every 10 minutes until I know. :)
On a happier note, my faith in humanity was restored today. Remember George? My sweet little Italian bus driver that makes me smile every time I get on the bus? Well, he switched routes and now he is driving the bus I take to get home so I see him nearly every day. Today, as he was driving me home from work he made my heart melt. This is why:
There was a little old lady with a walker on my bus. She mentioned to someone near her that she normally took another bus to get home, but as an older bus with steps had been assigned to that route today, she needed to take this one as it was a newer model that is more “senior friendly”. The bus driver overheard, and asked where she needed to go. He then proceeded to drive past the stop to get her as close as possible, then lowered the bus wheelchair ramp so she could easily walk off the bus with her walker. However, before he let her do that, he got OFF the bus and helped her down by holding her walker steady. Once she was on the sidewalk, he then stopped traffic and walked her safely across the street.
I wanted to hug him… I was SO impressed. Seriously. When do you EVER see that happen anymore? He helped a total stranger. My heart smiled. :)
Today was also my last day at the school… I was so sad. I can’t believe how much I came to enjoy working in that classroom– and I was so nervous about being in grade 2! It absolutely changed my opinion about working in the primary / junior stream. As I was leaving the kids engulfed me in a massive group hug and nearly bowled me over… I’m really really going to miss them.