My thoughts*

The Anniversary: A Recap*

Just a bit of housekeeping first–I’ve been making the rounds through many of your lovely blogs. I’m going to be MUCH better at leaving comments and love now that I have two weeks off to enjoy a bit of relaxation and I can’t wait to catch up on all your news. I’ve just noticed something… when I switched my blog to WordPress in March the Hubster rigged it so that technically my blog address stayed the same ( However I noticed that in some of your blog rolls it appears that I haven’t updated in 5 months and it shows that my last entry was the last entry I wrote in my blogger blog.

In order for it to get up-to-date, you just need to edit the link you currently have for me. Just re-enter OR and it should start updating for you.

Thanks lovelies!! xo


Well, it’s official. The Hubs and I have been married for five years and have crossed the threshold into oldy-wed territory. I have to admit, I love that our response to “How long have you two been married?” no longer produces the “Awww, so cute! You’re so new!” reaction. Being a newly-wed was all kinds of fun, but I love being an oldy-wed.

Our anniversary was wonderful. It’s been more of an “anniversary week” than anything else, and I feel spoiled and loved. :)

On Tuesday I came home from work to find beautiful pink roses on my kitchen table. In case you missed the memo, I love roses. And I love that I get them just often enough to keep them as something special.

On Wednesday the Hubster rolled in from work just long enough to tell me to put on my shoes and that he was taking me out. We got in the car and started to drive, but he wouldn’t tell me where we were going. He can be pretty sneaky when he wants to. He drove back to my old Ghetto U territory and took me to the restaurant where we had our first date (and where he took me the night he proposed) and we had a lovely dinner. Afterward he drove to the park where he actually got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife five years ago.

It was the first time we had been back to that park since that night. It all seemed so… different. Mind you, the last time we were there it was night in mid-March and the park was buried knee-deep in snow. We walked the path to the swings where we had sat just minutes before he proposed and stayed for a few minutes. It was getting late and the air was a bit chilly so we didn’t stay long, but it was so nice to revisit our spot and drive around my first university campus. I have so many good memories from Ghetto U.

On Thursday I worked my last shift at the store. I have a whooooole post all about this coming, don’t you fret. The Hubster met me after my shift and walked home with me. We did our gift exchange as soon as we got in. I bought the Hubs a new watch that pretty much does everything but teleport and he bought me tickets to go see SOUTH PACIFIC next week!!!!! I didn’t even know it was playing in Toronto, but it’s one of my favourite musicals–I love all things Rogers and Hammerstein. So next Thursday I’ll be all dolled up and off to the theatre!!

On Friday (our actual anniversary) we packed up the car and went campin’. It was the first time we had ever been together so I over packed everything (sort of) and we drove into the bush. We didn’t have an exact address for where we were going so we got turned around a few times on the way there, but we arrived safely and set up our new pretty tent.

The Hubs and I quickly got to work getting our camp fire going, and I’m pleased to report that, ahem, I’ve still got it. Apparently there is still a little northern Ontario in me after all. ;)

Afterward the Hubster cooked me a fabulous dinner of gourmet camp fire hot dogs. That was one thing I managed to remember. You see, I always tend to over-pack, especially food. However, for this trip I managed to forget just about everything. I forgot the ground beef we were going to cook the next day, oil to cook our eggs and bacon, a spatula and a host of other things. Thank goodness camping is all about improvising, right? :)

After dinner I wandered over to the next site to see who was there and it ended up being a group of people from the West End of the city who knew some of my extended family! My cousin (in-law) and his son were actually camping with them! It was so fun to see them. Holy small world, no?

The Hubs went on a bit of an adventure walk while I stayed at our site and enjoyed our beautiful fire. I brought all kinds of games with us, but we ended up sitting and talking quietly for a while when he got back before turning in a little early. It was so peaceful and relaxing.

I was able to fall asleep fairly quickly despite the fact that the ground was a bit hard / bumpy (note to self: air mattresses are a NECESSITY for camping. haha). I woke up some time in the night to hear the pitter patter of rain drops falling on our tent. It didn’t sound like it was raining very hard so I wasn’t terribly concerned and fell back asleep. I woke up a while later when the rain started again and decided I should probably bring our shoes inside.  We were still dry inside, so again, I curled back up in my sleeping bag and fell asleep.

At around six am we were both awakened by a brilliant flash of light and an enormous clap of thunder, followed immediately by another. We jumped out of our sleeping bags and began the mad dash to try and pack the car before the rain started. We had barely rolled our mats before the sky exploded and it began to pour. The Hubster began making trips to the car with our things as I packed until we had emptied the tent. We were able to move it under the pavilion and dry out a bit–but our super tent didn’t let any water in! WOO! We decided to have breakfast before figuring out what we were going to do, and it was at that point that I realized that I had forgotten half our food. haha! So we had bacon and eggs (that stuck to the pan a bit) that weren’t nearly as good as the ones my mom used to make. *sigh*

We waited around for a couple of hours to see if the weather would let up, but as it continued to pour intermittently throughout the morning we decided to call it a day. Sadly, we didn’t get to do half of the things we wanted to, but it was still fun to sit by the fire and try out our new super tent. We were exhausted when we got home and ended up having a four-hour nap once we had showered and unpacked the car and it turned out to be a lovely, cozy, inside day.

Though it didn’t really work out for us this time, I would definitely go camping again. Hopefully next time we’ll be able to get some hiking and swimming in. :)

All in all, it’s been a wonderful anniversary week and I can’t wait to see South Pacific!

Related Posts with Thumbnails


  • Date Girl

    Happy anniversary! That sounds like a wonderful time in spite of the rain. It makes me feel better about not having camped with my fiancé, knowing that it was your first time camping together after being married 5 years, wow! I can’t wait to go camping together. Maybe for our 1 year anniversary. :-) OH and I love that the Hubs took you out as a surprise and brought you back to the first date restaurant. Very sweet!